Friday, February 23, 2007

the wind goes whoosh, whooosh

I wish I had my camera cable so I could post pictures of the places I visit during the days...

I will do my best to show you with words all the things I see and feel.

I was gone from the house all day again. I met Danielle and Olga at Martha's house and we then went for coffee. The coffee shop, they told me, was "close". In truth, it was very far away and one of the coldest days (at least that I have experienced). It was extremely windy and bone chilling. The coffee shop was great though, Lauren worked there and it was the first time I've seen her since moving. At some point this couple came in who feel in love with Elisha. They were so cute...probably in their 30's and bi-racial. The man, Chirstopher, was especially excited about how cute Elisha was. Elisha put on the most ridiculous show I have ever seen him pull off. He just kept giggling and starring up at them with his cute little eyelashes. He ended up sitting at their table with them and reading a magazine...so cute. We started talking to the couple and it turned out they too had just moved to philly. We talked for a while and then went to go have lunch. I had so much fun meeting them and hope that we run into each other again. I went to the mosque later to get dates...the door was closed so I was worried they were closed but when we opened the door it was like stepping into another world. Wonderful smells filled my nose and lungs and a dozen or more Muslim men were sitting a table eating lunch, it was def. the busiest I've seen the store in the Mosque. I need to make it a priority to visit there regularly and try to be a bit more brave in talking to the women, who are positivly beautiful and extremely friendly. I hung out at Lois' house the rest of the day while she worked on a new project inspired by our decorating searching on urban. Cut out birds that she is putting on the wall, im not sure if this sounds cute to you, but it is SO cute. I left her house a little late and ended up walking home, alone, during sunset and into the night. The ice cold wind was still blowing, we were extremely far, and I was so stressed out about being out at dark and worried about Elisha. We made it home safely...when I got on my street I found a young black man and older guy on the steps smoking a joint, I quickly walked by looking for my house numbers. I soon realized I passed my house...at this point the young man was walking past me saying whats up and asking if I was aight...I found that I missed my house because the two men were standing in front of it at the time and that the older man was my neighbor. I introduced myself to him and had a very funny conversation...I couldn't get my door unlocked so he helped and offered to put some crap in the lock to make it work better. Basically, I love this man. I kind of love every random person I got to meet today...which is one of the reasons I love Philadelphia.
I came home and made some pretty yummy vegetable lentil stew and oatmeal cookies...it felt so good to cook. We had a handful of guests to eat the food which made it all the better. I feel much better about the city today. I feel hopeful for my future here...and while it is harder in many ways it is good. I feel like im a new kind of single mom...I dont have a car, I dont have family or daycare, I am completely alone with Elisha. I am not yet comfortable enough with anyone to offer their services for babysitting...although I am sure I could. Anyways...I dont know why I write so much on here. I find it much more like a journal than a blog. I have an easier time writing my thoughts at when I am typing.

Good news...I was getting worried about not having a car or job. When I got home I had 3 emails from people about being a nanny for them. One of the families has a little boy and lives in the city, I would love to work for them so I hope this works out.

Tomorrow has plans already made...its funny how a few days in the house and I want to get out so badly. a few days out of the house and I want back in even worse. Oh the skill of being content.

No comments: