Sunday, February 18, 2007

Brotherly Love

Hello.
I made it! Friday afternoon, about 1/2 an hour before we left for the airport, Elisha came out of the hallway crying, gagging, with white powder in his mouh. I instantly knew what he had done, because he had been trying for weeks, he ate laundry detergent. I have no idea how much he had but shortly after he came we got him to drink water and he started throwing up. I was freaking out while my cousin assisted Elisha in his multiple throw ups. I talked to poison control who told me it probably tickled his throat causing him to gag...we both didn't think it had been long enough to burn his throat. So we got in the car to leave for philly but his voice was extremely raspy and he kept crying and clutching his throat saying it hurt. It was such a pathetic and scary sight that we decided to skip the airport and go to the urgent care. We got in right away and the doctor said his throat was swelling. They gave him three different shots, it was very sad, and called an ambulance. The main thing they were trying to figure out was if it was an allergic reaction or a chemical burn...the second being the worse. So the paramedics came and put E on a stretcher and we drove to the ER. Elisha hated the ambulance even with all of the efforts of the medics trying to entertain him with ballon gloves. The entire time he kept drooling in mass amounts and couldn't swallow. He kept crying but with this very low and raspy cry, so cute. When in the ER the doctor was surprised to see that his throat was still very swollen despite the large quantity of bendryl he was given...making it appear that it was a chemical burn. They gave him a breathing treatment, which he also hated so 3 of us had to lay on him to keep him still . He then got an iv, after being poked in both arms, and the succesful arm had to have a cast like bandage to keep him from tearing it out. He received a few more breathing treatments and which was something close to torture. Luckily he didnt get the alternative which would have been intivation. They would knock him out and put a tube down his throat. So we did all of the breathing nonsense for a few hours...he was in and out of sleep and finally around 11 he showed signs of healing. He started talking to me a bit, in a very hoarse voice, but it was a great improvement. He then got a popsicle but was very upset because he would chew and then it would run out of his mouth, he still couldn't swallow. Finally around midnight the doctor said the swelling was decreasing and that one of the shots he had gotten earlier would start to work. So we got home and made plans at 2 am to fly out. Elisha woke up completely healed. He voice was back to normal and he could swallow perfectly. We got to Philadelphia saturday night at 11 pm. I am now in my NEW bedroom, in my new house, on my new street, in my new city, in my new state. HORRAY! I love my house...it is really quite beautiful...as soon as i get a cable for my camera I will post pictures of everything. I went to ikea twice today, it is very fun. I love my new house mates, although ive only met two. So far all is going well. It snowed today but it really hasn't been as cold as I had imagined. I am glad that I am so busy getting everything together with the house and what not...its given me time to not concentrate on the fact that I actually LIVE here and when my mom leaves tomorrow I will be here all alone. Kind of scary. It is also helping me to not cry about missing you. It is so strange. I looked out the window of the plane as I saw my last glimpse of the ocean. I watched as I passed mountains, valleys, rivers, miles and miles of land. I thought about you and felt as close as before, despite the distance I have put between us. So I will have to wait for the second to take its effect. As much distance as I could manage and now I will wait as days, weeks, and months pass us by. Time and space, that is the remedy for a broken heart. It is cold in my house now so I am going to snuggle in my bed. Goodnight California, Goodnight Philadelphia.
I love you

No comments: